Saturday, August 27, 2011

Administrative meeting

I had several meeting this week about the Guatemala coffee project and things are moving along.  Now that the first week of school is behind us we should all be ready to do a little bit more work on the actual design.  I am waiting to get some design information about a grain dryer that was used in the USA before everyone switched over to the large bins and started using natural gas and propane.  Once I have that information I can start getting supplies and start the construction.  I have several ideas for smaller driers but the local farmers dry 500 to 1000 pounds of beans so we will need something bigger.  We also may need some type of solar powered fan.  I don't know that much about solar energy but I have enrolled in a class at ICC and I have homework to read this weekend.  More important, I am a motivated student.
What I really enjoy about this project is the degree of enthusiasm I get from the other faculty when I talk about this.  No one says, "oh a solar coffee dryer", yawn and rolls eyes.  People do seem to find the project interesting and are willing to help in some small way.  This could be a good thing for ICC as the years go on.  I am sure what ever we do in the near future, will need to be worked over and improved in the months ahead.  That is also what I like about the project.  It will always be fresh because technology is always changing.
I plan to be at Landscape and Garden Day on Saturday, September 10, to try and sell some of my yard stuff.  I need to clean out my old metal work, because we are not taking any of that stuff to Silver City, New Mexico.  I am going to try and sell it and use the money to buy supplies for the model solar coffee dryers.  I have built one already and will get supplies for another this week end.  If anyone needs something for the yard or garden, at a good price, I will have some things at Landscape and Garden Days.  I will be at the Green Expo that same day, also at ICC.  Busy, busy, busy, or Wo Hen Mang.  Sorry, Wo Hen Mang, is another blog.  That is going to be kind of rough, to try and learn some Spanish and at the same time try to improve my Chinese, and not be very good at either one.  That is what makes life interesting, the challenges. I love the challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment