Monday, October 10, 2011

One type of solar dryer waiting to be tested.

I have a model of a solar collector that I need to move to ICC so that Prof. Larry Kellerman can have his students test and collect data on how well it will work.  I found this design on the internet and thought is was worth a try.   I had to buy the 2 by 6's but the plywood is an old piece that I had and a piece that I got from an old shipping crate.  I got two pieces of roofing tin and painted it black.  I will move the collector to ICC and put it together at the Dingeldine Campus.  I have to add a few hoop pieces to hold the visqueen and a small fan and photovoltaic panel to drive the fan and then it will be ready to test.  We will see just how much air the fan will move and how warm the temperature will get in the dryer.
This will lay flat and be covered with visqueen.  The visqueen will be held in place by staples in the wood frame and a few screws in the metal straps.  This part is the heating part and the one you can not see is the drying rack.  The complete drying system is four foot wide and fourteen foot long.  We will see how well it works and how well the visqueen stands up to the elements. 

No comments:

Post a Comment