Wednesday, December 7, 2011

getting more tools for the trip.

Here is a picture of the cordless drill and a multi-meter that I will be taking to Guatemala.  I was able to get this equipment because of a donation from one of my followers.  I thank them very much for their help.  I plan to wear one of their tee shirts so that we can use it as product placement while we are filming what we are doing in Guatemala.  The cordless drill came with two batteries and a flashlight.  I have used it at work so and was pleased with the results.  I think the two batteries will keep us working all day.  The multi-meter will allow me to check the voltage and amperage of some of the pumps and electrical motors. I will be able to gather information that we can use when we ask for donations for a gasoline/welding machine.
I am also taking a propane torch because we are going to try and install a solar hot water heater.  I am not sure how much of this project we will get done but I plan to make sure people know how to solder copper so we can start if needed someone else can finish.  Solar hot water will be easier to do there because it does not freeze.  Oh, did I mention the weather would be around 90 degrees and then drop to just below 70.   We also need to know if we can get a caulking gun or if I will have to bring one.  I am going to bring some caulk because I want to make sure we have some supplies to start on projects.  If we have enough equipment to start and be able to teach people what to do we should be ok. 
This is a picture of the soda can clamp that I made out of a piece of PVC pipe.  I cut the PVC in half long ways and glued some sand paper inside.  The PVC pipe will open up around the can and when you grip it with your hand the tension is enough, with the sand paper to keep the can from spinning.  I then drill three holes in the bottom of the can using the drill and a uni-bit.  A uni-bit is a multi diameter drill bit that you push through the can until you get the hole the size you want.  You then cut the top off the can using a can opener.  The cans are glued together and form a tube.  The tube of cans is painted black and collect heat from the sun.  We had 180 degree air coming out of the solar collector a few weeks ago.  I will get a 110 volt fan and temperature controller to use so that we can maximize the out put of the solar soda can collector.
You use a can opener to cut the top off of the soda can.  Some types of can opens work better than others.  This one is a good one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment